Frequently asked questions
What is Candid?
Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, in 2019. Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it.
As Foundation Center and GuideStar, we gave millions access to the data, analysis, and tools they need to understand the nonprofit world and contribute to it. We have a combined 88 years of history. As Candid, we’ll be able to combine our resources and knowledge to offer even more. We'll create more comprehensive data sets and develop brand-new insights. Together, we now have the capacity to ask and answer questions in ways we couldn't as separate organizations.
What does Candid do?
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Candid's data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world.
Is Candid a nonprofit?
Yes. Candid is by the nonprofit field, for the nonprofit field. Check out our Nonprofit Profile.
Whom does Candid serve?
We serve people—everywhere—who are involved with, affected by, or interested in mission-driven work.
Where is Candid located?
We are global. We have hundreds of public affiliate locations across the U.S. as well as in several other countries. Our staff offices are in Oakland; Atlanta; Cleveland; Washington, D.C.; Williamsburg, VA.; and New York. We also have remote staff working around the world. Learn more about how to access our resources.
How does Candid deliver on its mission?
Candid offers the most comprehensive data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants across a global network of in-person and online access points.
Through these access points, we deliver specialized services and tools that provide our audiences with data on nonprofits and charitable giving. We offer training opportunities in nearly every format for nonprofits and foundation representatives. We provide people and organizations with solutions such as APIs and custom data platforms. And our news platform gives real-time reporting and insights from industry leaders, on a wide range of topics important to the social sector.
What are Candid’s values?
We’re driven. We make an impact in everything we do.
We’re direct. We communicate with integrity and clarity.
We’re accessible. We ask, “How can we help?” and we mean it.
We’re curious. We listen, collaborate, and innovate.
We’re inclusive. We incorporate equity, inclusion, and respect for diverse perspectives in all our work.
How can my organization work with Candid?
Partnerships with communities and organizations across the globe make our work possible. Here are some of the ways that organizations work with us:
- Accessing our services locally, or offering our services through your organization: Our Funding Information Network (FIN) consists of hundreds of libraries, community foundations, and other nonprofit resource centers that offer Candid resources to the public free of charge. FIN partners can be found across the U.S. and around the world. Learn more about where to find our locations, or how to become a Funding Information Network partner.
- Custom data projects: We work with data partners on custom projects to transform our information, analysis, and technology into solutions for the social sector. Data partners help us answer questions like: Who is funding what and where? How can we know what other funders know? How can we make the most of what we're learning? Learn more about starting a new project with us.
- Training opportunities: Candid can work with your organization to customize a training experience that fits your needs and budget. Our trainings give participants the opportunity to create tangible plans in a variety of formats. Outcomes can include the development and peer review of a fundraising plan, proposal, or case for support. Learn more about customized trainings.
- Financial support: Our donors generously provide annual support to Candid, enabling us to strengthen our programs and services, and ensuring that 99 percent of our constituents have access to them at no charge. In addition, we do our part by covering more than half of our operating budget with earned income. Learn more about becoming a Candid donor.
- Community foundation partners: The idea behind CF Insights is simple: What if each community foundation could know what all community foundations know? CF Insights members are a diverse group of foundations interested in sharing knowledge. Collectively, they serve half of the U.S. population and represent two-thirds of total community foundation assets. Learn more about CF Insights.
- Seals of Transparency: Candid offers a common online profile that can be updated, for free, by any tax-exempt organization. Organizations that update can earn a Seal of Transparency in the process. Earning a Seal increases efficiency throughout the sector, allowing nonprofits, foundations, and others to more easily compare and benchmark nonprofit programs, progress, and results. Learn more about Seals of Transparency.
- Data integration: Candid works to ensure that nonprofit information is available whenever and wherever it is needed. This data is available to a variety of platforms and applications via a number of means, including APIs (Application Programming Interfaces), easily installable plugins, and custom/managed data sets.
Where are the Foundation Center and GuideStar websites?
Candid’s website directs you to the resources that you found at the Foundation Center and GuideStar websites. The Foundation Center website has been retired, and traffic redirects to candid.org. GuideStar search and related tools can still be accessed directly at guidestar.org.
Can I visit your regional offices?
In 2019, we began transitioning away from providing direct library services at our regional offices in San Francisco, Cleveland, Atlanta, and Washington, D.C., while staff in those regions have begun to invest more heavily in our network of more than 400 Funding Information Network (FIN) partners. This way, we can provide our audiences with more training opportunities and more localized access to all of Candid's resources, anytime and anywhere. Candid’s databases and services are available at Funding Information Network locations near you. Find your closest access point.
Our library and training space in New York remains open to the public, and continues to operate in its current form (still providing direct services). Come visit us in NYC soon.
How can I connect with Candid staff?
You can contact our customer success team if you have questions about a Candid product or service. We also have an online librarian team ready to help you with research-related questions about nonprofit management and fundraising. And our New York office is available for walk-in consultation and library use. Please get in touch with us today.