Director of Partnerships
Candid is looking for a dynamic professional with a deep network in the social sector to lead the scaling of strategic relationships across the US, with special emphasis on the Midwest region. The Director of Partnerships will play a critical role in fueling Candid's information pipeline - one that demonstrates how the social sector is addressing the critical challenges facing the world today.
See the world. Make it better.
On February 1, 2019, Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it.
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Candid’s data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world.
Candid’s vision is an ambitious one. But we know that when we make investments in our talent, it translates to more access and better knowledge for those working for social good around the world.
POSITION: Director of Partnerships
Senior Director of Partnerships
LOCATION: Flexible within the Midwest, with preference given to candidates located near Candid’s Cleveland office
Candid’s Partnerships team is charged with scaling our organization’s information pipeline. We do this through identifying, cultivating and strengthening medium- and long-term, strategic relationships with philanthropic foundations, governmental agencies, and other key social sector actors - as well as the infrastructure groups/associations that support them. We work alongside our partners to identify and solve their needs and challenges through mutual benefit and measurable results.
As Director of Partnerships, not only will you advise on the strategic goals and plans of the national team, but you will also play an important role in elevating Candid’s presence and impact throughout the Midwest, a territory of 13 states (IL, IA, IN, OH, MI, MN, WI, MO, KS, NB, ND, SD, OK).
You will be charged with surfacing regional sector needs and connecting them to Candid products and solutions where they exist, while contributing to Candid innovations and piloting new solutions in the field, aligned with Candid’s strategy. You will serve as an external influence for Candid, representing the organization as a thought leader in the field, while also serving as an internal subject matter expert on regional trends and opportunities.
- Relationship Development
- Lead efforts to grow Candid’s data and knowledge base by identifying, cultivating and enhancing meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external partners with existing or potential alignment with Candid strategic initiatives. The goal is to generate revenue, data-driven intelligence, goodwill and advancement of the sector. Potential partners include funders, government entities, funder and nonprofit membership associations, and other social sector actors.
- Leverage existing or develop new networks to secure and mobilize introductions and referrals to prioritized potential partners.
- Work with internal stakeholders to ensure that engagement of potential partners is coordinated across all teams’ efforts. Collaborate with internal stakeholders to strategize on relationship targets and enhancements and work together on projects. Navigate and activate resources across the organization to support regional efforts that ensure Candid’s investments deliver mutual return on investment based on agreed upon key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Work with partners to ensure philanthropy and the broader social sector has access to the knowledge and data it needs to inform its programming and funding decisions, and to shape policy and systems. Examples of activities include virtual and/or in-person convenings and workshops related to general data-capacity building and a mutual exchange of information; strategic promotion and dissemination of Candid resources to targeted regions and partners.
- Support Candid’s real-time data strategy and contributed data campaigns. Direct recruitment, onboarding, internal coordination, and ongoing outreach and education.
- Fund Development
- Maintain and strengthen existing funder relationships to support our work in the region.
- Identify and cultivate new sources of revenue including regional support, special projects, pilot initiatives, etc.
- Oversee and execute all regional grant proposals as well as interim updates and final reports for funders.
- Ensure that proposals and contracts are developed in collaboration with the appropriate Candid teams to ensure successful execution and excellent service to our partners.
- Establish a plan to meet or exceed revenue targets for the region.
- Strategic Leadership
- In collaboration with colleagues within the Partnerships team, Networks Division and across other divisions, contribute to the execution of Candid’s 2030 vision and goals.
- Contribute to the development, launch, and execution of a new, org-wide partnership model that offers clear value propositions and systemized points of entry for formal collaborations.
- On an ongoing basis, know and track the philanthropic/social sector landscape throughout the region – identifying needs, solutions, and partnerships that align with our strategy and propel us toward growing impact in the region.
- Represent Candid at regional conferences and convenings, assuming speaker or moderator roles as appropriate to elevate Candid’s visibility and position as a trusted thought partner.
- Plan and implement virtual and in-person touch points with regional partners and stakeholders to share and gather feedback on Candid’s business model, product mix and strategy, test new innovations, and create a feedback loop for Candid’s existing and planned services.
- Serve as regional ambassador to internal stakeholders by sharing on-the-ground insights, needs, and emerging trends. Periodically present to the Executive Leadership team the view from the field.
- Deep knowledge and roots in the social sector. Mission-driven with a professional demeanor and a passion for social change.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in business development, non-profit management, or the equivalent.
- Collegial and collaborative with an ease for nurturing internal and external partnerships.
- Innovative and solutions-minded, willing to experiment.
- Attentive listener and master communicator who can relate to a variety of audiences, with excellent writing, analytical, and verbal presentation skills.
- Passion for the use of data, research, and technology to improve the practice of philanthropy and the social sector.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills that demonstrate a high degree of professionalism, agility, cultural competency, and emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and build relationships with partner organizations; credibility and experience to connect an organization like Candid to resources and opportunities.
- Strong organizational and planning skills and an understanding that collaboration and accountability are critical as well as a systems thinking approach.
- Ability to hold a critical role in a fast-paced environment with multiple demands, while remaining flexible and meeting deadlines with quality work.
- Solid experience with Microsoft office and customer relationship management software (Salesforce, etc.).
- Post-pandemic, ability to travel 30% of the time (estimated) for regional stakeholder meetings, conferences, events, as well as to organizational- or division-wide meetings nationally.
- College degree strongly preferred; equivalent experience will also be considered.
- Sensitivity and respect for racial, gender, sexual orientation, and cultural differences.
- Champions and represents Candid’s core values: We’re driven, direct, accessible, curious, and inclusive.
- Willingness to perform other duties and special projects as needed/requested.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will only be considered if all instructions above are met.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Due to the high volume of applicants we typically receive, we regret that we can only contact candidates that we would like to interview.
Candid is an EO/AA/VET/DISABLED Employer.
We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.