Chief Executive Officer
Reporting to and a member of the Board of Directors, the Chief Executive Officer has ultimate responsibility and accountability for managing and accelerating the strategic, programmatic, and financial/operational activities of Candid. This individual also is responsible for recruiting, managing, and supporting senior staff and helping them to align and execute on priorities.
See the world. Make it better.
On February 1, 2019, Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it.
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Candid’s data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world.
Candid’s vision is an ambitious one. But we know that when we make investments in our talent, it translates to more access and better knowledge for those working for social good around the world.
POSITION: Chief Executive Officer
The successful candidate will bring to the role demonstrated intellectual breadth, convening power, resource development capabilities, financial acumen, and practical experience with the social sector. They must exhibit a deep commitment to the mission and values of Candid, grasp the potential for data and technology to transform the social sector, and be an inspirational and motivational leader for an accomplished staff. The candidate will engage as a nonpartisan thought leader in the community, focused on solutions and results to serve the broader good. Strategic and entrepreneurial thinking drawn from wide ranging professional experience, ideally at the intersection of the social sector and the private sector, would be considered valuable.
The CEO must be able to shape and successfully implement innovative and visionary strategies and models, managing change as necessary to meet the demands of a continuously evolving environment. The Board will be looking to the next CEO to vitalize the 2030 vision for Candid, which has invested significant resources conducting a strategic analysis of the sector and its role therein. The organization now seeks a leader to actualize this vision towards profound impact.
The successful candidate will have the demonstrated managerial capacity and interpersonal skills to run a complex organization and engage an extensive and diverse group of partners with unique needs and perspectives, to share common goals across geographies and interests.
They will have experience working closely with a board, staff, and other stakeholders to achieve ambitious goals in a financially responsible manner. They will have outstanding communication skills and the ability to represent the organization effectively and authentically to an array of audiences. The CEO must have proven success working at local, national, and global levels at varying capacities and be seen as a peer to key leaders in the nonprofit, philanthropic, and private sectors.
Strategic Leadership and Management
- The ability to serve as the chief internal and external translator, actualizer, and implementer of the vision and goals of the organization moving forward.
- The inclination to seek and analyze information from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with Candid’s 2030 vision.
- The ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing the organization to improved performance; tenacious and accountable in driving results.
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new, innovative ideas that will stretch the organization and push the boundaries within the industry.
- Demonstrated record of setting operational priorities; a strategic thinker who will be capable of partnering to create and implement an operational vision, framework, and culture that has the potential to forge a lasting legacy of impact.
- Commitment to leadership that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Credibility and Expertise
- Experience with the nonprofit sector in order to serve as a thought leader and a catalyst for convening across a broad and diverse constituency.
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to the mission of Candid, its unique ability to build a global data collection and analysis system, and its importance to the fabric of the social sector.
- A keen sense of the sector and a vision for its future potential; demonstrated passion for how Candid’s research and data analysis will support the social sector to tackle enduring challenges.
- A high degree of integrity and forethought in their approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization.
- Understanding and appreciation of the role of data and its uses, presentations, and limitations.
- Direct experience working internationally or in a globally-focused institution.
Business Acumen, Resource Development, and Financial Sustainability
- Experience managing organizational growth toward financial sustainability, with a solid operational and client-services acumen.
- Energetic, innovative thinker with the ability to analyze and balance the diverse business and revenue drivers of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to raise private funds from institutional donors, diversify funding sources, and successfully manage Candid’s existing product line while continuing to innovate on all.
- Demonstrated capability to manage and further develop Candid’s complex portfolio of products.
- Experience managing investments in core organizational functions while evolving structures and systems that allow for increased client and staff satisfaction and impact.
Building Relationships and Influence
- The ability to influence internally and externally through informed vision, political skill, thought leadership, and networking; a determination to remove barriers to successful implementation of Candid’s vision of a social sector capable of tackling the critical challenges and opportunities of our time.
- Natural ability to connect and build strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Encouragement of others to share the spotlight and visibly celebrates and supports the success of the team.
- Authenticity, diplomacy, flexibility, warmth, sensitivity, drive, passion, and determination.
- Exceptional communication and external representational skills, including as a public speaker and communicator.
- Multi-constituency sensitivity and demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Judgment and Curiosity
- The confidence, gravitas, and experience to work with partners from a variety of backgrounds and to engage and operate effectively at the highest levels of leadership.
- Self-reflective and aware of their own limitations; leads by example and drives the organization’s performance with an attitude of continuous improvement by being open to feedback and self- improvement.
- A risk-taker who seeks data and input from others to foresee possible threats or unintended circumstances from decisions; someone who recognizes opportunities and takes smart risks.
- Ability to identify major organizational risks (operational, reputational, financial) and work with relevant stakeholders to address and mitigate.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; the ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations.
- Exceptional judgment to balance Candid’s mission and margin, and to address and mitigate emerging organizational risks.
- Adaptable, curious, and responsive to a fast-changing sector.
HOW TO APPLY
Russell Reynolds Associates has been exclusively retained for this search and prospective candidates are invited to contact Russell Reynolds Associates directly. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
To apply for the role or submit a nomination, please reach out to email@example.com.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.