Social Sector Librarian (long-term, part-time)
Candid is seeking an engaging and knowledgeable team player who is passionate about connecting nonprofits to the resources they need to thrive.
See the world. Make it better.
On February 1, 2019 Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it.
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Candid’s data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world.
Candid’s vision is an ambitious one. But we know that when we make investments in our talent, it translates to more access and better knowledge for those working for social good around the world.
POSITION: Social Sector Librarian (long-term, part-time)
Programs Manager, New York Learning Center
Two Library shifts each week, for an average of 10-12 hours weekly. Additional hours available throughout the year to support special programs, attend team meetings, and cover library shifts during staff vacations and sick days.
LOCATION: New York City (downtown Manhattan)
The Social Sector Librarian supports the library services and educational programs offered at Candid’s New York Library and Learning Center, directing patrons to resources as well as providing information and expertise to nonprofit professionals who visit the center (virtually, and in-person, post-COVID).
Library and Learning Center:
- Lead virtual orientations for the public and patrons with guidance on Candid resources and services.
- Provide patrons with search assistance for Foundation Directory Online, GuideStar, and other fundraising databases.
- Collaborate with Program Manager to maintain and promote Candid’s OverDrive (eBook and audiobook) collection.
- Support Candid’s Online Librarian team via email and live chats with patrons.
In-person (once we can safely open to the public):
- Staff library reference desk on a regular basis and provide reference assistance to emerging and seasoned nonprofit and social sector professionals who visit the library.
- Provide library visitors with instruction and expertise on Candid resources, including the use of Foundation Directory Online, GuideStar, and other fundraising databases.
- Lead orientations and library tours on the library resources.
- Maintain the physical library space, including organizing and displaying Candid literature and resources and re-shelving books.
- Update library handouts and user aids on topics and issue areas of interest to library visitors.
- Provide on-call coverage of library reference desk during staff vacations or sick days.
- Support Program Manager and library staff with special projects
- Perform other duties as assigned
- 2+ years of comparable experience preferred.
- Must be knowledgeable about research databases and applications.
- Customer service, fundraising, or nonprofit experience desirable.
- Library experience preferred.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Comfortable with public speaking.
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects and detail/deadline orientation a must.
- Willingness to perform other duties and special projects as needed/requested.
- College degree strongly preferred; equivalent experience will also be considered.
- Sensitivity and respect for racial, gender, sexual orientation, and cultural differences.
- Champions and represents Candid’s core values: We’re driven, direct, accessible, curious, and inclusive.
- Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, this position will be remote until further notice. Candidate should feel comfortable assisting patrons remotely and collaborating with team members in a virtual environment.
HOW TO APPLY
Only candidates who are seriously seeking part-time employment will be considered. If you are looking for a full-time position, please do not apply.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following:
- The reason you are seeking a part-time position
- The expected length of time you are available to work
Due to the high volume of applications we typically receive, we regret that we can only contact candidates that we would like to interview.
Candid is an EO/AA/VET/DISABLED Employer.
We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.