Senior Director of Global Partnerships
Candid is looking for a dynamic professional with a deep network of relationships to lead the scaling of partnerships with philanthropic foundations, multi-lateral agencies, and other key social sector actors across the globe. The Senior Director plays a critical role in Candid’s efforts to build a real time data collection system to capture funding flows, news, and outcomes that demonstrate how the social sector is addressing the critical challenges facing the global community.
See the world. Make it better.
On February 1, 2019 Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it.
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Candid’s data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world.
Candid’s vision is an ambitious one. But we know that when we make investments in our talent, it translates to more access and better knowledge for those working for social good around the world.
POSITION: Senior Director of Global Partnerships
Vice President of Networks
Three team members
LOCATION: New York City preferred; other locations considered
Candid’s Global Partnerships team is charged with the scaling of our organization’s information pipeline internationally. We do this through the establishment of medium and long-term strategic relationships with philanthropic organizations, governmental agencies, multi-lateral agencies, and with the broader social sector - as well as the infrastructure groups/associations that support them. We work alongside our partners to identify and solve their local needs and challenges through mutually beneficial ideas and measurable results.
Candid’s global work is integral to our 2030 vision and we need a thoughtful, savvy, and energetic leader with ‘lived’ experience to play an instrumental role in bringing it to life.
The Senior Director of Global Partnerships brings an existing global network and a deep understanding of the social sector in diverse country settings. Success will be measured based on the candidate’s ability to realize an organizational vision, while delivering Candid’s products, programs, and services as solutions to global audiences.
- Strategic Leadership
- In collaboration with colleagues within Networks Division and across other divisions, lead the execution of the Candid Global Strategy, in support of the organization’s 2030 vision and goals.
- Play a lead role in the development and launch of a new, org-wide partnership/network model that offers a clear value proposition and systemized points of entry for various partner types across the globe.
- Provide input and/or oversight to the development and implementation of programs, projects, and products that support our global outreach. Examples include the launch of Candid’s first international iteration of its nonprofit/NGO profiles (or their equivalent); data-oriented capacity building workshops in Europe, Asia, or Africa with partners; and/or the aggregation of COVID-19 efforts by philanthropy across the globe.
- Represent Candid as a thought leader to the field. Examples include participation in advisory roles, conference speaking opportunities, and digital engagements (blogs, webinars, etc.).
- Monitor the global philanthropic/social sector and development landscape and shape Candid’s data driven response and approach accordingly.
- Participate in Candid leadership initiatives, contributing to key decision-making activities, maintaining feedback loops, and managing change as needed.
- Partnership Development
- Lead efforts to grow Candid’s global data and knowledge base through the management and cultivation of partnerships around the world.
- Develop, facilitate, and maintain partnership opportunities with philanthropic foundations and networks, civil society/social sector organizations, multilateral organizations, government agencies, national statistics offices, academia, and think tanks.
- Ensure close alignment and synergy with Candid’s Products and Insights divisions as it relates to regional/country-specific priorities related to data collection efforts, ensuring Candid’s investments deliver mutual return on investment based on agreed upon key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Work with partners to ensure philanthropy and the broader social sector has access to the knowledge and data it needs to inform its programming and funding decisions, and to shape policy and systems. Examples of activities include virtual and/or in-person convenings and workshops related to general data-capacity building and a mutual exchange of information; strategic promotion and dissemination of Candid resources to targeted regions, countries, and partners.
- Work with philanthropy and the social sector domestically and globally to help the sector understand the Sustainable Development Goals and other relevant frameworks to their own funding, programming, data needs, outcomes and impact.
- Operational Leadership
- Lead Global Partnerships Department budgeting and oversight of progress towards KPIs related to revenue and support, reach, and quality assurance.
- Manage and coach a New York (USA)-based team, serving as a steward of their professional growth and potential.
- Gain and leverage deep understanding of Candid products and services and identify opportunities to share that knowledge with international audiences.
- Develop project proposals and serve as project owner on a variety of initiatives involving workshops, research reports, data collection, knowledge sharing, and other services for domestic and international audiences.
- As needed, support division-wide activities with an “all-hands-on-deck” spirit.
- At least 10 years of experience in the social sector, philanthropy, international development or related field – and a deep network of corresponding relationships.
- Passion for the use of data, research, and technology to improve the practice of philanthropy and the social sector.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for Candid’s mission.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills that demonstrate a high degree of professionalism, agility, cultural competency, and emotional intelligence.
- Excellent writing, analytical, and verbal presentation skills.
- Ability and willingness to work in a shared leadership environment.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and build relationships with partner organizations; credibility and experience to connect an organization like Candid to resources and opportunities.
- Strong organizational and planning skills and an understanding that collaboration and accountability are critical as well as a systems thinking approach.
- Experience living and working outside of the United States and fluency in languages other than English strongly preferred.
- Travel (25-30%), both domestically and internationally is required.
- Experience in developing and maintaining relationships via hybrid approaches of in-person touchpoints and online connections with both internal and external stakeholders (familiarity with Slack, ZOOM, and similar office technologies is a must).
- A sense of humor and intellectual curiosity are appreciated.
- Advanced degree strongly preferred; equivalent experience will also be considered.
- Sensitivity and respect for racial, gender, sexual orientation, and cultural differences.
- Champions and represents Candid’s core values: We’re driven, direct, accessible, curious, and inclusive.
- Willingness to perform other duties and special projects as needed/requested.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume and cover letter to:
Please put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will only be considered if all instructions above are met.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Due to the high volume of applicants we typically receive, we regret that we can only contact candidates that we would like to interview.
Candid is an EO/AA/VET/DISABLED Employer.
We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.