Data Discovery Assistant (long-term, part-time)
Candid is looking for a long-term part-time Data Discovery Assistant who is highly organized, detail-oriented, responsible and outgoing to join our team and support our efforts in researching and maintaining data on international grantmakers and other nonprofit organizations, as well as support the department’s direct involvement in capturing real-time data.
See the world. Make it better.
On February 1, 2019 Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it.
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Candid’s data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world.
Candid’s vision is an ambitious one. But we know that when we make investments in our talent, it translates to more access and better knowledge for those working for social good around the world.
POSITION: Data Discovery Assistant (long-term, part-time)
Data Discovery Analyst
19 hours per week, Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00am to 5:00pm
LOCATION: Downtown NYC
The Data Discovery Team seeks a dynamic individual to support Candid’s research on the philanthropic and nonprofit sector outside the United States, as well as ongoing efforts to ensure Candid has the most up to date information possible on the sector. The part-time Data Discovery Assistant will serve as a critical arm to Candid’s research process in gathering timely data on the giving, funding interests, and overall profile information of funders and nonprofits located around the globe. The successful candidate will possess strong communication skills, both oral and written, excellent grammar and proofreading skills, outstanding internet research skills, an interest in philanthropy/nonprofit sector (interest in international affairs a plus), a friendly and outgoing disposition, and the ability to learn new technologies.
- Provide critical support for research on funders and nonprofit organizations outside the United States
- Enter data regarding international funders and/or their grantmaking into Candid’s internal database for inclusion in products such as Foundation Directory Online and Foundation Maps
- Review existing records and update as necessary to ensure the timeliness and accuracy of Candid’s data on international philanthropy
- Research and load data concerning Requests for Proposals (RFPs), grants, and other “real-time” data into Candid’s database
- Contribute to research projects intended to assess the viability/feasibility of acquiring data from new sources
- Classify organizations and their activities using Candid’s Philanthropy Classification System
- Research and write up summaries of the nature of philanthropy in priority countries identified by Candid.
- Assist the Data Discovery department with research and data entry tasks for special projects as needed.
- Commit to a 19 hour work week.
- Embrace a team mentality.
- Must be comfortable working independently
- Strong work ethic, highly organized, and able to manage multiple projects concurrently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent writing, grammar and proofreading skills a must.
- Strong web research skills essential.
- Knowledge of Excel required; experience with computer programming a plus.
- Must be outgoing, friendly, patient, and willing to learn new research practices and technology on an ongoing basis, and possess very strong communication skills.
- Fluency in languages other than English is a plus, but not required.
- Strong interest in and appreciation for the activities and contributions of the social sector and international affairs a plus.
- Previous office experience preferred.
- Sensitivity and respect for racial, gender, sexual orientation, and cultural differences.
HOW TO APPLY
We're looking for candidates who want long-term, non-benefits eligible, part-time employment.
Only candidates who are seriously seeking part-time employment will be considered. If you are looking for a full-time or benefits eligible position, please do not apply.
Please email your resume and cover letter with expected salary for the position to:
Please put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following:
- The reason you are seeking a part-time position
- Your desired hourly wage
- The expected length of time you desire part-time work
Your application will only be considered if all instructions above are met.
Candid is an EO/AA/VET/DISABLED Employer.
We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.