Social Sector Librarian (long-term, part-time)
Candid is seeking an engaging and knowledgeable team player who is passionate about connecting nonprofits to the resources they need to thrive.
See the world. Make it better.
On February 1, 2019 Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it.
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Candid’s data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world.
Candid’s vision is an ambitious one. But we know that when we make investments in our talent, it translates to more access and better knowledge for those working for social good around the world.
POSITION: Social Sector Librarian (long-term, part-time)
New York Lead
Two Library shifts (12 pm – 5 pm Wednesday and Thursday) each week, for a total of 10-12 hours weekly. Additional hours available throughout the year to support special programs, attend team meetings, and cover library shifts during staff vacations and sick days.
LOCATION: NYC (downtown Manhattan)
The Social Sector Librarian supports the library services and educational programs offered at Candid New York Library and Learning Center, providing information, resources, and expertise to nonprofit professionals and other grant seekers who visit the center.
Library and Learning Center:
- Staff library reference desk on a regular basis and provide reference assistance to emerging and seasoned nonprofit and social sector professionals who visit the library
- Provide library visitors and program participants with guidance on Candid resources and services
- Provide library visitors with instruction and expertise on the use of Foundation Directory Online and other fundraising databases
- Lead orientations and library tours on the library resources
- Maintain the physical library space, including organizing and displaying Candid literature and resources and re-shelving books
- Update library handouts and user aids on topics and issue areas of interest to library visitors
- Provide on-call coverage of library reference desk during staff vacations or sick days
- Support New York Lead and library staff with special projects
Perform other duties as assigned
- BA/BS degree or currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program, preferably in library information science or nonprofit management; MLS or MPA a plus
- 2+ years of experience in library services, fundraising/grant writing, and/or nonprofit management
- Excellent written and verbal communication and customer service skills
- Nonprofit and/or customer service experience preferred
- Ability to work with a wide variety of patrons and visitors
- Knowledge of computer networks and applications, and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook) with the ability to develop expertise in Candid databases and platforms such as Foundation Directory Online
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
HOW TO APPLY
We're looking for candidates who want non-benefits eligible, part-time employment. Only candidates who are seriously seeking part-time employment will be considered. If you are looking for a full-time or benefits eligible position, please do not apply.
Please email your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com, with the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following:
- The reason you are seeking a part-time position
- The expected length of time you are available to work
- Where you saw our job posting
Due to the high volume of applicants we typically receive, we regret that we can only contact candidates that we would like to interview.
Candid is an EO/AA/VET/DISABLED Employer.
We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.