Data Discovery Analyst
Candid is looking for a full time Data Discovery Analyst who is eager to bring better, fresher data sets to Candid’s customers and facilitate the integration of these data sets into Candid’s products.
See the world. Make it better.
On February 1, 2019 Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it.
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Candid’s data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world.
Candid’s vision is an ambitious one. But we know that when we make investments in our talent, it translates to more access and better knowledge for those working for social good around the world.
POSITION: Data Discovery Analyst
Data Discovery Manager
LOCATION: Downtown NYC
Candid is an innovative nonprofit that gathers and analyzes data, shares it worldwide, and empowers people to understand and increase philanthropy’s ability to improve the world. The Data Discovery team is responsible for bringing better, fresher data to Candid’s customers and for proposing new products and features that give these customers more value. The Data Discovery Analyst will play a key role in this effort, working on a wide variety of global and domestic data acquisition, analysis and classification initiatives and projects that range from human rights to disaster philanthropy. The Analyst will also facilitate the integration of these data sets into Candid’s products, helping ensure that Candid is viewed as the go-to-source for those seeking accurate, timely information about funding opportunities or global philanthropy and civil society organizations around the world.
- Prepare and process grants lists submitted to Candid by funders, load them into our database system, and work with other staff in cataloging and auto-classifying these transactions using Candid’s taxonomy as needed.
- Gather and process information needed to perform data discovery projects initiated both internally and by external partners, including discovery and analysis of large data sets on the charitable sector outside of the United States. This may include research into the composition and nature of the charitable sector in different countries.
- Extract grants lists from PDF files, Microsoft Word, and organization web pages.
- Participate in initiatives to improve the quality of the data processed by the Data Discovery team, particularly grants data submitted by funders.
- Learn new programming languages and technologies to facilitate the work of Data Discovery and the department as a whole.
- Provide feedback on all database and workflow processes related to our database system.
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
BA/BS degree. Two years of research and data analysis experience required. Two years of nonprofit experience preferred. Proficiency with MS Office Applications (specifically MS Excel and MS Word) required. Experience with a scripting language (such as Python or R) and/or databases (SQL or NoSQL) highly desired. Candidate must be interested in developing their technical skills as needed to keep pace with the growing and changing needs of the organization. Technical training will be required in the first year. Deadline and detail orientation essential. Able to think categorically, work independently and cooperatively to achieve common goals.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will only be considered if all instructions above are met.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Due to the high volume of applicants we typically receive, we regret that we can only contact candidates that we would like to interview.
Candid is an EO/AA/VET/DISABLED Employer.
We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.