Candid is looking for a Communications Manager to join our team to help us grow Candid’s brand awareness.
See the world. Make it better.
On February 1, 2019 Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it.
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Candid’s data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world.
Candid’s vision is an ambitious one. But we know that when we make investments in our talent, it translates to more access and better knowledge for those working for social good around the world.
POSITION: Communications Manager
LOCATION: Candid Office Location in New York, Oakland, Washington D.C., or Williamsburg preferred
Born from the joining of Foundation Center and GuideStar in February 2019, Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. The job of Candid’s marketing and communications team is to get the right resources to as many people as possible. We believe the more users who use and find value in our resources, the greater the difference we can make in the world.
As part of the Marketing and Communications team, the communications manager will grow our brand by managing our presence in and relationships with media, strengthening our presence at conferences and speaking engagements, and nurturing key strategic partnerships.
- Connect with influential media outlets and journalists to place stories using Candid’s data, insights, thought leadership, and reports.
- Establish and oversee a sustainable public relations strategy centered around media relations. This includes working with Candid’s research teams to fulfill data set requests from media and providing in-depth analysis for specific organizations, causes, and communities.
- Act as a Candid spokesperson and train other spokespeople for TV, print, radio, and online interviews.
- Identify and monitor emerging issues and potential challenges to the organization and work with leadership and senior staff to develop and implement PR specific solutions.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with agency partners, as needed.
- Collaborate with prominent members of the organization, including the executive team, to craft and pitch press releases and thought leadership columns.
Conferences and Speaking Engagement Responsibilities
- Increase adoption of Candid’s products and programs by creating and executing strategies for key conferences and events.
- Work with different teams to coordinate our conference presence to maximize visibility and spending for the right Candid solutions at the right conferences.
- Pitch and secure speaking opportunities for Candid team members at conferences and other in-person and virtual events.
- Coordinate with staff and outside partners to oversee physical presence at conferences, including the production and shipment of swag and materials.
- Serve as a spokesperson for Candid at conferences, events, and trainings.
- Oversee communication of conference presence and key takeaways across Candid.
- Oversee, in collaboration with team leadership, the budget tied to conference registration, attendance, and swag.
- Represent Candid at select web-based and in-person speaking opportunities and trainings.
- Grow and enhance select new and existing partner relationships, in coordination with other teams. Partners include, but are not limited to: major foundations, social media and technology companies, and large networks of nonprofits.
- Support Candid campaign launches by working with partners to promote our work with their audiences.
- Deliver a great experience to our partners when working with our organization—represent our brand and be our partners’ liaison internally.
- Forecast, measure, and report the results of various projects with partners, including co-created and/or co-branded content promotions, lead sharing, and/or event partnerships.
- Identify ways to reach new audiences, bring them into the pipeline, and establish brand loyalty via new and enhanced partnerships.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in related field or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience either in-house or with an agency.
- Experience volunteering with and, ideally, working for one or more nonprofit organizations.
- Flexibility and attention to detail; must be able to manage multiple projects and navigate changing priorities while maintaining excellent work.
- Ability to prioritize both quick-turnaround, responsive needs and long-term efforts.
- Highly effective communication skills with strong writing and presentation abilities.
- Demonstrated skill in developing and honing relationships with key partners and top-tier journalists.
- Self-reliant, strong problem solver, and results-oriented.
- Ability to make decisions in an everchanging environment and anticipate future needs.
- Proven track record working with media to achieve high-impact placements.
- Demonstrated experience managing comprehensive strategic communications and media relations plans to advance an organization’s mission and goals.
- Persuasive communicator.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume and cover letter to:
Please put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will only be considered if all instructions above are met.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
Due to the high volume of applicants we typically receive, we regret that we can only contact candidates that we would like to interview.
Candid is an EO/AA/VET/DISABLED Employer.
We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.